Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where can I learn more about Toxic Mold?
  2. What is mold?
  3. How does mold infiltrate my building?
  4. Can mold be toxic?
  5. What do I do if I think I have mold in my building?
  6. How can I tell if I have mold?
  7. How do you get rid of mold?
  8. How can I prevent mold from contaminating my home or office?
  9. What is "sick building" syndrome?

Where can I learn more about Toxic Mold?

You can learn more about mold at these web sites.

Back to Top

What is mold?

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, mold

"can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance when moisture is present. Outdoors, many molds live in the soil and play a key role in the breakdown of leaves, wood, and other plant debris. Without molds we would all be struggling with large amounts of dead plant matter. Molds break down plant materials by digesting them, using the plant material for food."
-U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Back to Top

How does mold infiltrate my building?

Molds enter indoor environments by circulating through doorways, windows, heating, ventilation systems, and air conditioning systems.

Back to Top

Can mold be toxic?

Yes, mold can be toxic, but not all mold is toxic. By calling a professional, they can inspect and determine what type of mold you have. Mold Specialists, Inc. will take a sample of the mold and send it out to a lab for analysis.

Back to Top

What do I do if I think I have mold in my building?

First, do not try to remove it yourself. Call a professional to inspect the mold to check if it should be removed and whether it is harmful. You should never touch mold or moldy items with your bare hands. Trying to remove the mold yourself can make matters worse by circulating the mold through the air.

Back to Top

How can I tell if I have mold?

The following are symptoms in determining if you should call a mold remediation specialist to treat mold in your home or office.

  • You have an existing moisture problem in your house.
  • Building materials have been wet more than 48 hours.
  • Hidden sources of water too high, high enough to cause condensation.
  • Building occupants reporting musty or moldy odors.
  • Building occupants are reporting health problems.
  • Building materials or furnishings are visibly damaged.
  • Maintenance has been delayed or the maintenance plan altered?
  • Has the building been remodeled recently or has the building changed?
  • Who is most at risk for toxic mold?
  • The elderly, those with allergies, young children are most at risk.

Back to Top

How do you get rid of mold?

In severe cases, never try to remove the mold yourself. There are several steps and techniques in removing mold. By hiring a professional, you will be assured that the current mold problem will be removed. We utilize high high-tech inspection devices such as moisture meter [to find water problems hidden inside walls, ceilings, and floors], fiber optics [to look inside walls & ceilings for mold infestation], timed mold culture plate impactor, air sampling pump & cassettes, & hygrometer [to check for the high humidity that mold can grow in]. Mold Specialists, Inc. will inspect, treat, and remove the mold.

Back to Top

How can I prevent mold from contaminating my home or office?

The only way to prevent mold from growing in your home or office is to alter conditions that are conducive to its growth. Damp areas with low temperatures, little light and very low air circulation is just right for mold growth. Another step to take is to keep heating, cooling, humidifying, and dehumidifying systems clean. Keep attics, crawl spaces, and basements ventilated and dehumidified. Keep bathrooms dry and ventilated.

Back to Top

What is "sick building" syndrome?

Sick building syndrome describes a situation where an unusually high number of workers in a building experience health problems that seem to be associated with the amount of time the ill person has spent indoors. A key to the acuteness of the problem shows that when the person leaves the building their symptoms are relieved. If you suspect a problem and the illness cannot be identified, call a mold professional to inspect your surroundings.

Back to Top